Temporary work (subclass 457)
A 457 visa is when an Australian or overseas business sponsors an employee to temporarily work work in Australia.
What type of visa?
Temporary Work Skilled Subclass 457
What can you do with this visa?
This is a temporary work visa valid for 4 years and unrestricted travel in and out of Australia.
The application process
There are 3 stages to this visa program:
- Standard Business Sponsorship approval – where your employer must be approved to sponsor an overseas worker.
- Employer nomination – where your employer will nominate the position and the person
- Visa application – following sponsorship approval and employer nomination the person can then apply for the visa.
Generally employers need to show that they are:
- Operating as a business
- Meet training benchmarks
- Offering equivalent employment terms and conditions
- No adverse information
Generally requirements for nomination include:
- Nominating an eligible occupation
- Demonstrating that the employer is offering equivalent employment terms and conditions as an Australian employee
Generally requirements to 457 visa application include:
- demonstrate that you have the relevant skills and experience for the occupation
- meet English language requirements
- have no adverse information about you and your associates
- have adequate health insurance – health insurance from either Australian or overseas insurance providers is acceptable.
- Health requirements
- Character requirements
Each stage has very different requirements to be met. Please contact us for further information and assistance in your application.
Full case management and representation by Frontier Migration Services: $5,500-$6,500. For all 3 stages.
Who is this visa for?
- For employers this option is fast and inexpensive way to employ overseas workers for temporary business needs.
- For employees this visa is valid for 4 years with options for renewal or permanent residency through other pathways such as the ENS or RSMS or Skilled Migration.
Any breaches will result in cancellation of the 457 visa.
- You must work in the occupation you were nominated
- You must work for the sponsoring employer
- Must not cease employment for a more than 28 consecutive days – annual days, sick days and leave do not count towards this.
- You must hold adequate health insurance while in Australia
- The health insurance can be issued from an Australian or overseas insurance company.
Just want help for one stage?
We provide unbundled services!
The unbundling process is based on the fact that there are many different complex stages of a visa application. We are able to provide assistance on all stages or just one stage.
Maybe you are already set up for Standard Business Sponsorship and you are now ready to nominate and sponsor a foreign professional.
Maybe you have been nominated by a sponsor and now you have to apply for a visa application for yourself and your family.