Partner visas

Partner visas are for people who are de facto partners or spouses of Australian permanent residents and/or citizens. This visa allows you to live and work in Australia with your loved one.

What type of visa?

  • Partner Temporary Visa (Subclass 820) and Permanent visa (subclass 801)
  • Partner Temporary Visa (Subclass 309) and Permanent Visa (Subclass 100)

If you are outside of Australia please see Prospective Marriage for more information.

What can you do with this visa?

  • Stay in Australia for 2 years
  • Work in Australia
  • Travel in and out of Australia
  • May access Medicare

The application process

Usually the applications for temporary and permanent visas are lodged at the same time. The initial partner visa grant will be a Temporary visa with a validity of 2 years. After the 2 year period, the Department will grant you the permanent partner visa if all requirements are satisfied. The main requirement is that the genuine relationship is on-going. This is known as the second stage visa process. In some circumstances, there can be a waiver for this 2 year waiting period.

Furthermore there are some circumstances where you may be eligible for permanent residence even if the relationship has broken down before the end of the 2 year period.

Please contact us for further information on obtaining waivers and exemptions.


Full case management and representation by Frontier Migration Services: $5,500.

Please have a look at the DIY support options or consider a consultation using the Unbundled Services to see if this is the best visa option for you.

Who is this visa for?

  • You may be eligible for a partner visa if you are in a relationship with an Australian citizen, Permanent Resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.
  • You must either be married or in have lived together in a de-facto relationship.
  • The type of visa you are eligible to apply for is dependent on where you are located at time of application and lodgement.
  • If you are inside of Australia at the time of application then you should apply for Subclass 820 and 801.
  • If you are outside of Australia at the time of application then you should apply for Subclass 309 and 100.
  • If you are outside of Australia at the time you application you may also be eligible for Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300).

Visa conditions

Continue to meet all legal requirements for visa eligibility from the time you are granted a temporary visa until a decision is made on your permanent visa, which is usually two years after you lodge your application.

Partner Visa Checklists

For the ones who want to do it themselves

We also offer a Partner Visa package as part of our DIY Support options. Here you will be given everything you need to prepare your own application and at a fraction of the cost of full representation. Take a look here for more information and a sample of the guide and checklist that you will receive.

Leave a Reply

Your Name *
Your Email *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Contact us

Send us a message by using the contact form below

Get in touch with us

If you're unsure of which service level is correct for you please send us a message and we'll be happy to guide you through it.


For consultations please click on 'Unbundled Services' as they can be used for timed consultations.


General information: info@frontiermigration.com.au

Billing inquiries: accounts@frontiermigration.com.au

Skype: FrontierMigrationServices

Location: Sydney, Australia