Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) Subclass 187
Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme provides permanent visas for people who are nominated by a business or sponsor in regional areas.
What type of visa?
Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187) – Permanent visa for 5 years
Who is this visa for?
For Sponsored employees who wish to obtain permanent residency and are nominated by a sponsoring employer to work in businesses in regional areas.
Regional areas are not Gold Coast, Brisbane, Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong and Melbourne.
The application process
There are two stages to this:
- Employer nomination – the employer needs to meet certain requirements for approval to nominate. In this stage, the employer also nominates the person that they wish to sponsor
- Visa application – following a nomination the overseas worker can apply for this permanent visa through 3 different pathways:
There are different requirements that need to be met for each stage.
Generally employers need to show that they are:
- Operating as a business
- Meet training benchmarks
- Offering the position for at least 2 years
- Offering equivalent employment terms and conditions
- No adverse information
Generally the employee needs to show that they meet:
- Age requirements
- Skills and qualification requirements
- English level requirements
- Health requirements
- Character requirements
Exemptions apply for certain requirements. Please contact us to see if you qualify for an exemption.
Full case management and representation by Frontier Migration Services: $2,500-$4,500.
What can you do with this visa?
- live and work permanently in Australia
- study in Australia
- enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
- apply for Australian citizenship (subject to residency criteria)
- sponsor other people for permanent residence
- travel in and out of Australia for 5 years.
There are no visa conditions as this is a permanent visa however your visa may be cancelled by the Department if you do not make a genuine effort to start working for your employer within 6 months of entering Australia on the RSMS visa.
Just want help for one stage?
We provide unbundled services!
The unbundling process is based on the fact that there are many different complex stages of a visa application. We are able to provide assistance on all stages or just one stage.
Maybe you are already set up for Standard Business Sponsorship and you are now ready to nominate and sponsor a foreign professional.
Maybe you have been nominated by a sponsor and now you have to apply for a visa application for yourself and your family.