Business Innovation and Investment (subclass 188)
Business Innovation and Investment visas are part of a points tested programme that allows business people who want to invest significantly in Australia to achieve permanent residency.
What type of visa?
- Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) (subclass 188) visa – Temporary
- Business Innovation and Investment (Permanent) (subclass 888) visa - Permanent
What can you do with this visa?
- Establish a new or develop an existing business in Australia
- Make a designated investment with an Australian state or territory government
- invest at least AUD5 million in Australia
The application process
The initial visa granted will be a provisional or temporary visa. Following the fulfilment of your provisional visa conditions i.e establishing the required level of business, then you may apply for a permanent visa. This will be dependent on your intention to maintain the business after the initial investment.
To apply for a Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional)(subclass 188) visa you must lodge an Expression of Interest through Skill Select and be invited to apply for this visa.
General requirements include:
- you are invited to apply
- have a successful business or investment history
- have adequate personal and business assets
- were nominated by a state or territory government
- meeting health and character requirements
- there are also age requirements depending on which stream you wish to apply for
- Innovation point testing depending on which stream you wish to apply for. Pass mark is 65.
The visa has three streams.
- The Business Innovation stream is for people who want to own and manage a new or existing business in Australia. Minimum assets: AUD 500,000
- The Investor stream is for people who want to make a designated investment of at least AUD1.5million in an Australian state or territory. Minimum assets: AUD AUD 2.25 million
- The Significant Investor stream is for people who are willing to invest at least AUD5million into complying investments in Australia. Minimum assets: AUD 5 million
You may include family members in your application but are subject to additional requirements.
If you wish to convert your temporary visa into a permanent visa such as the Business Innovation and Investment (Permanent) (subclass 888) visa please contact us for more information
Note: we do not provide investment advice but we do assess whether your investment will be a complying investment as defined by the law.
Please contact us for further information or to discuss how we can help you.
Full case management and representation by Frontier Migration Services: Case by case basis due to the duration and complexity in these visas
Who is this visa for?
This visa is for people who want to own and manage a new or existing business or to make an investment in Australia.
This is a temporary visa with a pathway to permanent residency.
You need to fulfill business obligations and the conditions of your initial visa grant.
Talk to us to see if this is the best choice for you
Business Innovation and Investment visas require competent legal advice and significant financial management. Frontier Migration Services has at our disposal a wide variety of qualified financial advisors including CPA, CA accountants and licensed investment bankers. If would like to know more on how we can help you, please book into a consultation with our Road Map package in our Unbundled Services.
You will be provided with a detailed report on what your options are and how you can proceed with or without our help.